Friday, July 15, 2011

Dare I say it...Chicken Parmesan?!?!

Since I'm on this breadcrumbs kick, it struck me that I could use the new gluten free Rice Krispies as a crunchy coating on chicken!

I love Chicken Parmesan. Needless to say, I haven't had it since I kissed my gluten goodbye. Actually, I didn't even get a chance to kiss it. Let me rephrase: I haven't had it since gluten was ripped from my life. That's more fitting. In hindsight, I should have had one last gluten gluttony...some donuts, a pizza, maybe a big fat cake. Oh, well.

Anywho...before I tried to do the parm, I decided to do a test run with something a little more simple to see if the crust would work. It's all about the crust, after all. As Anne Burrell likes to say, "Brown food tastes good." She's so right.

I pounded out several chicken breasts, dredged them first in Pamela's Ultimate Pancake and Baking Mix, then in beaten eggs and finally in ground up gf Rice Krispies (just whirred them up in my little food processor). I generously seasoned up the Pamela's and Rice Krispies with salt and pepper.

I put the stove on medium and put a tablespoon each of butter and olive oil in a skillet. After about 4 minutes on each side, I got a beautiful golden brown crust. My daughter LOVED it and so did my husband and I. Now I'm all set for some Chicken Parmesan! Tyler Florence's recipe has been searing a hole in my brain for quite some time now. I can hardly wait!

I also mixed up some Rice Krispie treats using the gf Krispies and some Fruity Pebbles. Also a big hit with the kiddos!

2 comments:

  1. My mom is a huge fan of chicken fingers - I have a breading you might like:

    1 cup breadcrumbs
    1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
    1 teas thyme
    1 teas basil
    salt/pepper to taste

    I do the normal flour, egg bath, bread crumbs and then I bake them on a pan with a rack 25-30 minutes at 375. (leftover breading freezes VERY well) We pair that with an apricot sauce 1 cup apricot preserves, 2 teas dijon mustard, 1 teas dill weed heated in microwave a minute or so. Yumm!

    I've tried the rice krispies with this and it works well and adds crunch!! My mom would eat these and oven roasted red potatoes every night if I fixed it!!! LOL! Karen R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, Karen! I'm going to try these for the kids (and us!). They sound delish! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete