Sunday, July 3, 2011

Hello, old friend.

So I decided to make gluten-free empanadas...three hours later, I was enjoying a gf version of an old friend from my wheat-eating past.

Yes, it took more time than I had anticipated, but it was well worth it. Inspired by a recipe I saw on the Pamela's Products web site, www.pamelasproducts.com/recipe/CajunSpicedEmpanadas/317.aspx, I decided to take the plunge. Not so surprisingly, I couldn't find Pamela's bread mix at the WalMart 20 miles away from my parents' home here in rural Illinois. Instead, I used the Gluten Free Pantry french bread and pizza mix and it still turned out pretty tasty. I'm anxious to try it with Pamela's and see how the two mixes differ. The filling is delicious on its own--I think I'll wrap that up in some corn tortillas for dinner tonight. Oh, and the chipotle sour cream sauce that goes with this recipe is delectable.

You wheat-eaters would enjoy this with a traditional pie crust. (I say that like I'm calling you a name. I kind of am. To tell the truth, I still hold some animosity toward those who get to eat normally. It's nothing personal.)

The even more exciting news is that I'm planning to stuff the rest of the dough with peach pie filling. It has been over three years since I've had pie--by far my favorite dessert. I try to eat a pretty healthy diet, so I didn't allow myself to have pie very often before my diagnosis. But now that I can't have pie, I want it more than ever! I'll let you know how that experiment turns out.

For tonight, though, just a regular Betty Crocker gf chocolate cake will ease the pain of watching everyone eat my niece's birthday cake. A little frosting and some m&m's won't hurt either.


1 comment:

  1. I wanted to mention that I used about half the cloves this recipe called for and it was just right for me. You be the judge.

    ReplyDelete