Saturday, June 11, 2011

A Cereal Situation

I'm not a doctor or a chef, but I play both in my real life. As an individual with Celiac Disease and a mom to a child with special needs (who also has Celiac Disease), food plays a big role in my everyday life.

You might have guessed from the title of this blog that I'm not some sort of gluten free zealot--I'm doing it solely because it's medically necessary for my daughter and me. I realize not all who eat gf are doing it because they have to. This is all well and good, though I heart wheat and would gladly go running back to my old ways if I could. Just telling the truth. So...do what you want, but listen to your doctor--I do feel tremendously better since I started the diet.

That said, I want this to be a place to not only share recipes, but restaurant suggestions and critiques, favorite products and general gluten free advice. Have at it! I can't wait to discover new things thanks to all of you!

************************************

One of the most difficult things to accept after my diagnosis was that I couldn't eat most cereals anymore. My husband and I both love cereal and we produced two cereal-lovers, so the hunt began. I tried some of the more specialized products from gluten-free companies, but they often left me feeling as though I'd eaten twigs and branches. My favorite is probably Envirokidz Peanut Butter Panda Puffs™ (organic). Ironically, my four-year-old who doesn't have Celiac counts this as his favorite as well. We order it from amazon.com in huge bags. It's cheaper and we go through it so fast that it's nice to have a new bag on hand when needed.

Just today I realized that Rice Krispies® are now gluten free--made with brown rice! Kudos to Kellogg's® for adding this to their line-up. The idea that I can now make Rice Krispie Treats® for my kids (and myself) is a thrill only other gluten free eaters would understand. Thus, I share. This is the recipe from the Kellogg's® web site:

Ingredients

  • 3 tablespoons butter or margarine (gluten-free variety)
  • 1 package (10 oz., about 40) regular marshmallows (gluten-free variety)
  • 6 cups Kellogg's® Rice Krispies® Gluten Free cereal

Directions

1. In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.

2. Add Kellogg's® Rice Krispies® Gluten Free cereal. Stir until well coated.

3. Using buttered spatula or wax paper evenly press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Cool. Cut into 2-inch squares. Best if served the same day.

You can add 1/2 cup of peanut butter before you mix in the cereal if you so desire. Delicious!


If I was physically able, I would have done cart wheels when General Mills made most of their Chex cereals gluten free. The cinnamon ones almost take the place of a dessert for me...almost. Also, Kix cereal is a big fave around here (three flavors!)--also from General Mills. And yes, Post's Fruity and Cocoa Pebbles are gluten free too, though I would have to say these are also more of a dessert than a breakfast choice for us. I also have e-mailed Kellogg's®, Post and General Mills to ask if they could de-gluten some of their other corn and rice-based cereals. We shall see...

I have to say that I miss eating oatmeal. I used to eat it every day (for it's many benefits) but I'm not willing to pay $6 for a tiny little bag of gluten free oats.

What's your favorite gluten free cereal and which regular cereal do you miss the most?

No comments:

Post a Comment